So yeah, I had no intention to go dark for a month. Like, none. I had posts and ideas planned and then?
But yes, we had our last real didactic lecture of our pre-clerkship blocks and exam Monday May 13th and the apathy levels have been rising ever since. Now, don’t get me wrong, that last lecture was met with celebrations by all, including myself. Med school, as I’ve mentioned before here, seems so all consuming that you feel like it will never end. The fact that one major part of it is over – the pre-clerkship part – is mind-blowing to me, though I know that won’t really hit me until I come back in August and actually start clerkship and realize how different it really is.
But, because I’ve been out of commission for so long, I’m going to do something I rarely do; a recap post 🙂 So, in sort of the right order – apathy 😉 – my missing month looked like this;
- I dyed my hair from being a blonde to a brunette and I absolutely love it 🙂 I don’t post pictures of myself here, but it’s crazy how something like that can be such a big change in the way we view ourselves.
- I had my 2 week ‘research block.’ I was working – completed as of now – on an ethics application to evaluate the efficacy of my previous project, a pregnancy pamphlet series that is now in circulation in family practices in St. John’s.
- That 2 week period fell over the Victoria Day Weekend, and my father and sister came into the city from out of the province to stay with for the weekend 🙂 I’m going to be brief here, because I will make a separate post of this – we got some great pictures – but it was so great to see them and we had an amazing time 🙂 As a teaser:
- I then started my final 2 week clinical placement – the Black Bag. This time I elected to stay in St. John’s and shadowed a fantastic young doctor at a family practice in the city. I had a great experience with the placement, which allowed me to see rounds and do shifts at the rehabilitation centre here in St. John’s, which was an area of medicine I’d never really considered and that I found very interesting. All three of my clinical placements were really unique and different experiences, and although this recent one wasn’t perhaps the ‘flashiest’ one, it was really interesting for me to be able to compare my knowledge base at those 3 stages in my early medical education, and really see how much I actually have learned in the last one 🙂
- I started making and selling pillows and now my bed is: a) covered in them, and b) so much more geeky for it 😉
- I picked up my travel documents for my summer trip, and I am so freaking psyched for this summer! I’ve started to print off tickets for the activities I’ve planned, and it’s all getting so close!!! London, Germany, Scandinavia and Japan here I come! 🙂
- The class has come together for our ‘pre-clerkship training’ week, which I will also make a separate post on as it’s an interesting and important part of our medical school education. Also, we might be unofficially calling it Clerkship Bootcamp, if that helps add a little context to it 😉
- I’m am incredibly tired because I got 4 hours of sleep last night from completing papers/projects and also bootcamp, so I am going to bed 😉
I promise I’ll be more proactive and those mentioned posts here will follow in a reasonable amount of time…right after I take a nice little sleep 😉