25% there!!!

So, at 2:45 today, I finished my first year of medical school.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPicSeriously, everyone should google “firework gifs” at some point in their life, it’s amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

But yeah, OMG I’m done my first year!!! Looking back at the beginning of this year, it honestly felt like I would never get to this point. ย I might not be really done, if I’ve failed the exam – which is absolutely possible – but that doesn’t really count. ย I’m done. ย I decry it ๐Ÿ˜‰

I spent some time (procrastinating) yesterday looking at the history and progression of this blog, as it serves as a record of my med school experience, and it’s a real trip. ย It’s funny to look at my evolution from happy, excited and thrilled med student to jaded, more cynical tired one, but I think that transition is probably normal. ย Now I think I’ve finally got the “shine” out of my eyes when it comes to medical school, and so to be able to look at it and know I can do it and still like what I see, even without that shine is an accomplishment in it’s self I think. ย Med school is an exhausting rollarcoaster of emotions, but knowing that I made it over the first hurdle alive just feels all the more rewarding for it. ย In the course of this one – amazing and ridiculous – year I’ve been diagnosed withย chronic illness and have worked with and through anxieties, but I’ve also felt more confident than I ever have before. ย I wear things I never would have had the guts to before like dresses, style my hair in a way I never would have as a kid, feel comfortable socially in my class and have secure friendships and familial supports.

I like who I am, and medical school is a big part of making that true.

It was so surreal today after the exam to say to my classmates “see you in August,” because it seemed like this was never going to end, like we were never going to be done. ย And yet too, somehow it just flew by, and I know that one day much sooner than I think I’ll be standing with my classmates and saying “I hope to see you again,” when we’re graduating (and I’ll be crying like the ridiculous crier I am, *see the last 10 minutes of Fast 7*).

Relativity, thy name is med school ๐Ÿ˜‰

But that’s future me’s problem; today’s me has packing and moving in her immediate future, some much needed sleep, some Netflixing to catch up on, and then some travel to get to!!! ย I can’t wait to get on that plane, because although I love Newfoundland it still feels like “school” for me, and so I think it’ll really start feeling like the break for me when I’m home with my mom and sister (and my mom’s cooking #rollingthrougheurope).

I’m 25% done being able to put the letters MD behind my name. I know medschool is all about the 75%’s, but 25% has never looked so good before ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 Comments Add yours

1. Farah says:

Ah congrats!!! That is so awesome and as an aspiring medical student myself, it provides reassurance that not all medics regret their choice of going into medicine ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Hope your results are all good! x

1. dellaliz19 says:

I know that med students sometimes try to talk premeds out of med school, and that as a premed you only ever seem to hear the negative aspects of med school and I don’t want anyone to feel like that’s all there is! I’ll say this: WHEN you get in, it will be nothing like undergrad and nothing you could imagine. It’s hard work and intense and you’ll bitch and moan (totally justifiably). But if medicine is what you want, then it really will be worth it! It’s not all sunshine and roses, but there are plenty of great days and if you really work at it and for it, then you can totally do it! And I’ll say this: I know tons of residents and doctors that don’t regret it one bit ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for commenting ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Farah says:

Yep, I’ve definitely had a few trying to talk me out of it! I’m hoping to study medicine in the UK so the process is slightly different to the US but the degree is roughly the same I’m guessing.
        Thank you for the encouragement, it’s been lacking from others and it’s refreshing ๐Ÿ˜€
        and no worries! I love reading posts about medical school experiences ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Malaika says:

Congratulations. I’ve been enjoying reading your experiences about medical school and looking forward to being there next year if I get accepted! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. dellaliz19 says:

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so glad you’re enjoying my ramblings ๐Ÿ™‚ And I’m sure you’ll get in!! And once you do you’ll realize that it will be intense and sometimes scary, but it’ll also be like nothing you’ve ever done before in many good ways! And I look forward to reading your med school exploits when that happens ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Congratulations! I am a pre-med student and can’t wait until the moment I get into medical school (hopefully), so I can’t imagine how great it must feel to have made it through your first year! I’m looking forward to hearing about your next 3 years! (:

1. dellaliz19 says:

Thank you! And if it’s what you know you want, then I know you will get in! And yes, it feels pretty great ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for commenting and I hope you continue to enjoy my rambling journey ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Congratulations! Looking back now, I can tell you it only gets better from here . . . keep learning (post-Netflix, of course!). Everything you take the time to learn means a future patient who will be better taken care of because of you!

1. dellaliz19 says:

Thank you, I certainly will! Second year looks like it should be really interesting being chronic injuries, and the constant learning of medicine is really one of the big appeals to me ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for dropping by and commenting ๐Ÿ™‚